$32 Million Zeis Hall opened in 2009 and is equipped with state-of-the-art teaching and undergraduate research labs.
The Organic and Inorganic Chemistry Teaching Lab incorporates a “room within a room” design for students to perform organic synthesis in the outer space and be able to work on notebook recording or have lab instruction in the inner room.
The design of the General Chemistry Lab and Analytical and Biochemistry Lab include an open floorplan and island benches to enhance collaborative learning.
Faculty Research Labs
We are a group of biochemists tinkering with a biomolecular machine to discover its secrets. More technically, we probe the interactions and structural dynamics of the rotor and stator of ATP synthase to determine how an electrochemical gradient is used to power rotary motion. Learn more about the Steed Lab.
The Wolfe laboratory at UNC Asheville is focusing on the need for the continued development and evaluation of structurally unique antibiotics with novel mechanisms of action through the development of a quantitative and high-throughput but “low-tech” method for screening bacterial libraries for antibiotic production in mono- and multi-culture. Learn more about the Wolfe Lab.
Teaching and Research Equipment and Instrumentation
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
- Fourier-Transform Infrared Spectrometer (with attenuated total reflectance and transmittance options)
- Gas Chromatograph
- Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometers
- Ion-Exchange Chromatograph
- Mössbauer Spectrometers
- High-Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer
- PCR Thermocycler
- Scanning Electron Microscope
- Tissue culture and storage facilities including Confocal Tissue Culture Microscope
- Refrigerated Ultracentrifuges
- Ultraviolet-Visible Spectrophotometers
- X-Ray Diffractometer
- 512-node Parallel Quantum Solutions Quantum Station (computational laboratory)
- Fluorescence spectrometer
- Shaking incubators
- High pressure homobenizer
- Liquid chromatograph – single quadrupole MS
- Liquid chromatograph – triple quadrupole MS
- Liquid chromatograph with UV, flourescence and evaporative light scattering detection
- Inductively coupled plasma – optical emission spectrophotometer